Apparently the whole Steve Bannon – “Making millions from Seinfeld TV Show” schtick was a lie as well.
Bannon gets busted…Again.
A key part of the mythos surrounding embattled White House adviser Stephen K. Bannon is that he makes millions of dollar in royalties from a savvy investment that included profit participation in the sitcom “Seinfeld,” but a New Yorker article about Bannon’s years in Hollywood is now casting doubt on that claim.
In an essay titled, “How Hollywood Remembers Steve Bannon,” journalist Connie Bruck dissects a number of Bannon’s key claims about his time in the movie industry and finds that most of them — including the “Seinfeld” story — don’t really hold up under scrutiny.
“Last November, when Bannon was named Donald Trump’s chief White House strategist, many articles highlighted an extraordinary fact about his Hollywood career: that he had negotiated a profit participation in ‘Seinfeld’ in 1993, two years before the show went into syndication,” said Bruck. “Forbes reported that, if Bannon had a one-per-cent share in the profits, ‘he would have made about $32.6 million since 1998,’ and went on to say that ‘Bannon’s steady “Seinfeld” income’ was supporting his career as a conservative propagandist.”
The factoid first surfaced in a 2015 Bloomberg Businessweek profile of Bannon. According to Bannon, Westinghouse Electric hired his firm to sell the corporation’s small share in an entertainment company called Castle Rock.
Media mogul and CNN founder Ted Turner was interested in buying all of Castle Rock including minority shareholders. Bannon said he advised Westinghouse to take the offer. The company’s representatives reportedly told Bannon that if the deal was so great, he should put up some of his own cash for the properties in the Castle Rock portfolio. One of them was “Seinfeld.”
“Some of those who were responsible for ‘Seinfeld’ became agitated by Bannon’s story,” wrote Bruck. “Larry David, the show’s head writer and executive producer, told me, ‘I don’t think I ever heard of him until he surfaced with the Trump campaign and I had no idea that he was profiting from the work of industrious Jews!’”
However, when Bruck scrutinized the deal — which Bannon and Co. reportedly came away from with a small portion of Castle Rock’s TV package — and followed it through a series of acquisitions and mergers until she found that after 1995, Warner Bros. acquired “Seinfeld” and began to send out regular profit participation statements.
“The Castle Rock and the Westinghouse records from the early months of syndication are not readily available,” wrote Brock. “It is possible that Bannon’s deal was capped and paid out at that time. But, since then, neither CBS nor Castle Rock nor Warner Bros. has records of payments to Bannon, if those records are as they were described to me.”
Got a little Blue Eyed Soul just for Steve…Not sure how the dancing girl in a skimpy bikini made it past the TV censors in 1965, but here goes.
Every day, another layer of dirt on Putin’s Bitch’s boys taking bribes from Russia.
Newly released documents reveal that the Department of Defense warned former Trump National Security Adviser Michael Flynn against taking money from foreign governments — but nevertheless, he persisted.
CNN reports that the new documents show Flynn was warned by the Defense Intelligence Agency to not accept cash from foreign governments in 2014 as he entered retirement. Flynn nonetheless took money from both the Russian and Turkish governments for paid speeches and for lobbying work, respectively.
“These documents raise grave questions about why General Flynn concealed the payments he received from foreign sources after he was warned explicitly by the Pentagon,” said Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD), who released the documents on Thursday. “Our next step is to get the documents we are seeking from the White House so we can complete our investigation. I thank the Department of Defense for providing us with unclassified versions of these documents.”
In a press statement on the documents, Cummings also noted that the newly revealed DIA letter “counters the suggestion by Flynn’s attorney on Tuesday that Flynn followed appropriate procedures for accepting foreign funds for his trip to Moscow.”
Both Cummings and Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) this week said that it appeared that Flynn, a retired Army lieutenant general, might have committed a felony by not disclosing payments he received from foreign governments before he assumed the role of national security adviser.
What’s that thing Stevie Wonder sang?
“So, it’s gettin’ ready to blow
It’s gettin’ ready to show
Somebody shot off at the mouth and
We’re gettin’ ready to knowIt’s gettin’ ready to drop
It’s gettin’ ready to shock
Somebody done turned up the heater
An’a it’s gettin’ ready to pop”
If you haven’t see some of the incredibly beautiful places in this country protected as National Monuments by the last 16 Presidents – You better take a long vacation this summer, as the Chumph is about to sell them off to be strip mined and drilled for oil.
What an unconscionable Piece of Shit this cretin is.
President Donald Trump is set to order the review of tens of millions of acres of land and water set aside as national monuments by the past three presidents on Wednesday, a move that environmental groups warn will undermine a crucial conservation tool and open up sensitive areas to fossil fuel development.
The review will be conducted by Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke and will encompass the dozens of monuments created over the past 21 years, although the main focus will be on President Barack Obama’s designation last year of Bears Ears National monument, as well as the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument protected by President Bill Clinton in 1996. Both of those are in Utah, and the state’s lawmakers have pressed to revoke the monument status for the two sites, which are believed to hold fossil fuel resources.
But Zinke sought to quell concerns that the executive order would roll back conservation protections provided by 1906 Antiquities Act, saying the Trump’s order “does not strip any monument … or loosen any environmental conservation on any land or marine areas.”
Yet environmental groups fear the review is a simply a pretense to unwind the federal protections in the future, since both Trump and Zinke have supported growing U.S. fossil fuel output.
The Antiquities Act is “one of our country’s kind of bedrock conservation laws,” said Daniel Ritzman, Sierra Club western public lands protection campaign director.
Sixteen different presidents have used the law “to protect some of our country’s most special places. You know places like the Grand Canyon [National Park] started out out as a national monument,” he said. “And it’s not just our important landscapes that have been protected, it’s also used to protect some unique American cultural sites, especially Native American cultural sites.”
Presidents have also used the law to block off areas from fossil-fuel development, such as coal mining at Grand Staircase, but environmental and conservation groups worry those protections will be tossed aside as Trump looks for additional ways to unleash energy development on public lands and waters.
“This administration has made it clear that they’re going to do the bidding of the oil and gas industry,” said Jennifer Rokala, executive director of the Center for Western Priorities, a Colorado-based conservation group.
The order gives Zinke 45 days to file an interim recommendations, and 120 days to issue suggestions for legislation or for Trump to revoke or slim down the size of any monuments that cover 100,000 acres or more that were created under the Antiquities Act.
The order does not make any assertions as to the scope of Trump’s authority to revoke monuments, Zinke said and he reiterated his belief that presidents can revise the scope of monument designations, though that the broader authority to delist monuments remains untested in courts.
While presidents have tweaked the size of their predecessor’s monument designations — President Dwight D. Eisenhower, for example, reduced Colorado’s Great Sand Dunes National Monument by 25 percent — none have fully revoked the status for existing monuments entirely. Environmental groups and tribal officials say they stand ready to sue over any attempts by Trump to change the footprint or eliminate existing monuments.
Yet another of the white-right Chumph media sources is facing major legal problems. On top of a bloddy divorce which is airing some really ugly underwear, companies harmed by “Infowars” fake “news” are beginning to fire back.
The Infowars host has made unfounded claims linking the company to a sexual assault committed by refugees
Alex Jones is already receiving bad press from his child custody case, and now he is on the receiving end of a lawsuit that could even further embarrass the right-wing provocateur.
Chobani, an Idaho-based company that makes Greek yogurt, is suing Alex Jones by claiming that the notorious conspiracy theorist falsely linked the company, its owner Hamdi Ulukaya, and the community of Twin Falls to a sexual assault case that occurred in the area, according to a report by the Idaho Statesman. The company employees more than 300 refugees both in Twin Falls and at another plant in upstate New York, and Ulukaya himself is a well-known advocate for the refugee community.
Unfortunately for him, Jones and other right-wing conspiracy theorists seized upon the sexual assault of a 5-year-old girl by three refugees as fodder for their anti-immigrant agenda. Both police and prosecutors have dismissed many of their claims, including that the girl was raped (authorities say she was inappropriately touched by one of the men while the other two filmed him), that she was held at knifepoint (authorities say there was no knife present), and that the local police attempted to cover up the crime. As NBC noted:
During the video, an Infowars reporter republished statements that claimed the Chobani plant brought crime and tuberculosis since it opened the plant five years ago while also pointing out previous reports of its willingness to hire refugees in Twin Falls.
In one of the articles identified by Chobani as being fake news, Infowars claimed that “as the Turkish billionaire brings in foreign workers with tens of millions in taxpayer subsidies, Twin Falls, Idaho, has seen a 500 percent increase in tuberculosis and two high profile refugee rape cases in the last two months, including the gang rape of a 5-year-old girl.”
In addition to $10,000 in damages (as well as attorney fees and punitive compensation), Chobani is demanding that Infowars retract its claims as incorrect. They are also accusing Infowars of violating the Idaho Consumer Protection Act.
Wonder if they will give the boy an orange cowboy hat to go with his new uniform?
Sheriff David Clarke, who is really the supervisor of the jail in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin is in serious trouble. At least four deaths have occurred in his jails under questionable circumstances. There appears to be a pattern of prisoner abuse and brutality at the jail, including an incident where a pregnant prisoner was chained to a bed during childbirth. In a case resulting in a Federal Lawsuit, a woman was confined to solitary, without medical attention. She was 8 1/ months pregnant, was denied medical care, and her baby, born alive, died soon after.
Evidence has also come out that the Depiddy also tried to get the County Coroner to cover up the causes of the deaths.
Prosecutors say Milwaukee County Jail officers cut off an inmate’s water for seven consecutive days before the man died of dehydration.
Milwaukee County Assistant District Attorney Kurt Bentley told jurors at an inquest Monday that the inmate, Terrill Thomas, was mentally unstable and unable to ask for help before he died in his cell in April 2016.
The DA’s office is asking a jury for advice on whether there’s probable cause that a crime was committed in Thomas’ death. The medical examiner has already ruled Thomas died because of dehydration.
Testimony and documents at the inquest revealed Thomas was moved to a solitary disciplinary unit where his water was cut off after he used a mattress to flood his cell in another jail unit.
Separately, Thomas’ children have filed a federal civil suit, saying their father’s treatment by Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke and his staff amounts to torture.
Attorney Walter Stern represents three of Thomas’ children. As he left the courtroom Monday afternoon, Stern said it was an interesting day.
“There was a police report indicating that this man was asking for, or begging for water,” Stern said. “Put it all together and it looks like there was profound dehydration.”
Thomas’ death was one of four at the Milwaukee County Jail last year, but Clarke won’t be a witness in the inquest. Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm said don’t read anything into that.
“I don’t think anybody should draw any conclusions. This is really a fact-based investigation,and so, what you try to do is limit yourself to people who have direct knowledge of the incident itself,” Chisholm said.
The inquest may last all week. The prosecutor’s office will then decide whether to file charges.