BTx3 suggested crossing those Hoverboard things off the Christmas list a while back…If you got one of these, you may want to consider buying a loooong extension cord…To charge it outdoors.
The Nashville Fire Department says two fires in the last three months were caused by hoverboards.
One of the fires destroyed a $1 million home early last month. According to a statement from the Fire Department, two teens living in the home hid upstairs after hearing noises from downstairs. The noise wasn’t a burglar but their FITURBO F1 hoverboard exploding into flames. A 16-year-old girl had to jump out the second-floor window into her father’s arms due to smoke and a 14-year-old boy was helped down by the dad with the use of a ladder. Both teens suffered minor injuries and the 4,000 square foot home was destroyed.
An investigation found friends of this same family also had an issue when a hoverboard purchased in the same batch caught fire after the battery compartment caught fire. Only the hoverboard was damaged during that fire.
Tennessee Commerce & Insurance Deputy Commissioner Gary West warned “consumers about so-called ‘hoverboard’ devices becoming potential fire hazards to Tennessee consumers.”