Tag Archives: ban
It has taken way too long for this to happen. The immediate impact of this is likely to be domestic, cutting the legs out from under the right-wing fake news sites and hate sites. This will target foreign as well as domestic terrorist recruiting.
Web giants YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Microsoft will step up efforts to remove extremist content from their websites by creating a common database.
The companies will share ‘hashes’ – unique digital fingerprints they automatically assign to videos or photos – of extremist content they have removed from their websites to enable their peers to identify the same content on their platforms.
“We hope this collaboration will lead to greater efficiency as we continue to enforce our policies to help curb the pressing global issue of terrorist content online,” the companies said in a statement on Tuesday.
Tech companies have long resisted outside intervention in how their sites should be policed, but have come under increasing pressure from Western governments to do more to remove extremist content following a wave of militant attacks.
YouTube and Facebook have begun to use hashes to automatically remove extremist content.
But many providers have relied until now mainly on users to flag content that violates terms of service. Flagged material is then individually reviewed by human editors who delete postings found to be in violation.
Twitter suspended 235,000 accounts between February and August this year and has expanded the teams reviewing reports of extremist content.
Each company will decide what image and video hashes to add to the database and matching content will not be automatically removed, they said.
The database will be up and running in early 2017 and more companies could be brought into the partnership.
The European Union set up an EU Internet Forum last year bringing together the internet companies, interior ministers and the EU Counter-Terrorism Coordinator to find ways of removing extremist content.
CNN Host calls BS on Trumpazoid. Funny how nobody is talking about the other terrorist who was a right wing Trumpazoid freak.
In a fine bit of election year electioneering, the US House has passed a bill limiting confederate flag displays…
A year after America suddenly and overwhelmingly began unraveling itself from the Confederate flag, here’s more evidence our relationship with it is ending.
On Thursday, the House of Representatives — including 84 Republicans — voted to make it illegal to drape or hoist the flag prominently in national veterans’ cemeteries, including over mass graves. Those who want to mark their ancestors’ spot with a Confederate flag could do so with a small one, but only on two days a year: Memorial Day and Confederates Memorial Day.
It’s unclear whether this new limitation on the Confederate flag is actually going to become law, since it hasn’t yet passed the Senate. But the House tends to be the more populist chamber of the two, and as such, a reflection of what the rest of America is thinking.
“Over 150 years ago, slavery was abolished,” said Rep. Jared Huffman (D-Calif.) who proposed the amendment. “Why in the year 2016 are we still condoning displays of this hateful symbol on our sacred national cemeteries?” The Hill’s Christina Marcos reports that no one spoke in opposition to it.
But many Republicans voted against it — 159, in fact — while about half as many (84) voted for it. And if Democrats have their way, the Confederate flag will be a campaign issue in the fall.
It’s no coincidence this comes after a racially motivated shooting in Charleston, S.C., nearly a year ago that killed nine black church members and spurred a shift in how Americans — and especially Southern Republican politicians — view the flag’s meaning. While acknowledging its symbolism of the South’s heritage, for the first time many prominent Republicans also acknowledged its ties to racism.
“That flag, while an integral part of our past, does not represent the future of our great state,” said South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley (R), who led the charge.
Some years ago, I had a friend who was a gunsmith. He loved to tinker and try modifications to weapons. He came up with a machine pistol, capable of firing 1300 rounds per minute. The difference between his new gun and everything else on the market at that time, was a unique compensation system he invented, which vastly reduced recoil – meaning the gun on full auto didn’t pull off target as it was fired. He thought the Military would jump all over it, so he made two copies and tried to sell it to them. There were several other potential customers in Federal Law Enforcement he demonstrated the weapon to. The post-Vietnam Military wasn’t interested in small, handheld weapons. The Law Enforcement agencies went nuts, even though the weapon could never be sold legally to the public – and had it banned from production in the US and banned for export. The rationale was that if a bad guy ever got hold of one of them, because of it’s small size and conceal ability, rate of fire, and accuracy he would be virtually unstoppable. The two prototypes were destroyed.
I think this gun should be banned. First, from a Law Enforcement standpoint a Cop will never know whether that Cell Phone a suspect has is really a Cell Phone – resulting in numerous killings of innocent people. Next, something like this provides the conceal-ability which would allow a John Hinckley character, who shot President Reagan to get close enough undetected to assassinate a political figure. Hinckley used a .32 Caliber which is significantly smaller. The inventor is lying in the below article about the effectiveness of the .380 round. It is, in terms of destructive power, only a step or two below that of a 9 mm. Generally it is used in small, semiautomatic handguns, which don’t have the accuracy or range of bigger guns due to the barrel length.
I’ve seen some pretty crazy stuff out there, including laptops which convert into sub-machine guns. But those types of systems are no available to the general public, and require stringent licensing.
This is absolutely STUPID nuts.
Its creator wanted a more discreet firearm to carry around.
This is not a smartphone. This is a gun.
It’s the Ideal Conceal, a .380-caliber pistol that folds up into a box shape. The creator designed the firearm to look like a phone so people could carry it around in public without attracting attention.
Here’s what it looks like when it’s ready for action:
Note – there appears to be capability to mount an internal laser sight on the front.
Ideal Conceal’s website explains the logic behind the $395 gun: “Smartphones are EVERYWHERE, so your new pistol will easily blend in with today’s environment. In its locked position it will be virtually undetectable because it hides in plain sight.”
The website also advises folks to check local concealed carry laws before purchasing the firearm.
Kirk Kjellberg, CEO of Minnesota-based company Ideal Conceal, told a local news outlet that he came up with the concept for the pistol after a boy in a restaurant noticed he was carrying a concealed gun. Kjellberg has a concealed carry permit and a firearm license, he told The Huffington Post, but he added that it’s still “pretty embarrassing when people stare at you.”
“A little child, a boy about 7, saw me, and said, ‘Mommy, Mommy, that guy’s got a gun!’ And the whole restaurant of course turns and stares at you. And I thought, there’s just got be something better,” said Kjellberg, per NBC affiliate KARE in Minneapolis.
Critics of the gun have pointed out that it could pose a security risk in public places like airports, according to KARE. But Kjellberg insists the gun is meant for people concerned about their own personal safety.
“We don’t want anything sinister to go on with it,” Kjellberg told KARE. “It’s just made for mainstream America, not criminal enterprise.”
He told HuffPost that the gun, which holds two rounds, isn’t very powerful. “If you’re going to try to hurt somebody, it will probably take more firepower,” Kjellberg said.
In recent years, police have shot and killed several people carrying items mistaken for guns. In January, police in Las Vegas shot and killed an unarmed man carrying a cell phone that looked to police like a firearm.
Calling the Confederate flag an “insensitive symbol” he personally finds offensive, NASCAR chairman Brian France said the sport will be aggressive in disassociating the symbol from its events.
“We want to go as far as we can to eliminate the presence of that flag,” France told The Associated Press on Saturday. “I personally find it an offensive symbol, so there is no daylight how we feel about it and our sensitivity to others who feel the same way.
“We’re working with the industry to see how far we can go to get that flag to be disassociated entirely from our events.”…
My…My…My…Put that in your “Daisy Dukes”
The “Flag battle” erupts again. This one seems a rather sensible approach, which is that you can’t use public facilities, such as light poles to fly the confederate flag. Otherwise, people can carry the flag, hang it from private buildings, or display it any way they like…
Sensible in that the government shouldn’t be providing a resting place to celebrate the confederate flag, any more than it should for the Nazi Flag, or the Rising Sun.
Of course, being sensible doesn’t mean it won’t cause a firestorm – especially here in the lower Shenandoah Valley where two of the icons of the confederate cause in Virginia are buried, and pro-confederate history and sentiments run deep.
A rural Virginia city where Robert E. Lee and Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson are buried voted to limit the flying of the Confederate flag on poles on several downtown streets.
The 4-1 vote Thursday night by the Lexington City Council allows only the Virginia, U.S. and city flags to be displayed. Personal displays of the flag are not affected.
About 100 people led by the Sons of Confederate Veterans rallied before the vote. They then showed up in force to speak to city council to dissuade them from enacting the ordinance.
Some residents complained that the flag is a symbol of the South’s history of slavery and shouldn’t be endorsed by the city.
After the vote, the Sons said they would legally challenge the flag ban in the city of 7,000.