There goes the Department of Justice…
This nasty bit of political prostitution may explain why cases against Donald Trump University have disappeared in Republican run states. In this case in Florida, the state’s Republican chief legal whore asks for money to make the lawsuit go away.
Florida’s Republican attorney general, Pam Bondi, personally asked Donald Trump for a campaign contribution before dropping out of a lawsuit charging Trump University with fraud, the New Civil Rights Movement reports.
Bondi asked for the contribution before publicly announcing she would join a New York state suit against Trump U. Four days later, she received a check from Trump’s foundation. Bondi subsequently announced she was no longer suing Trump, citing insufficient grounds to proceed.
The check was in the amount of $25,000, and the donation was in violation of rules governing political activities by charities.
The AP reports that the timing of the donation is note-worthy, because Trump has bragged about expecting to get favors from politicians when he donates money to them.
For example, at a rally in Iowa in January, the AP quotes Trump as boasting, “When I want something I get it. When I call, they kiss my ass. It’s true.”
Federal law, according to the Washington Post, makes it illegal to solicit money with the intent of being influenced in official actions.
New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, along with a federal class action lawsuit in California, accuse Trump of defrauding students of $35,000 each with promises of real estate education they either didn’t receive or found useless, the AP reports.
Though Bondi claimed ignorance about the complaints, the AP also obtained thousands of pages of consumer complaints against Trump U, largely owned by Trump himself, which were filed with Bondi’s office. More than 20 people filed complaints with the Florida attorney general, many saying they paid for training materials which were never received.
“I was laid off work for the first time in my life and really need this money to support my family,” one man pleaded, seeking a refund. “$1,400 is so much money for my family.”
Bondi’s isn’t the first case in which a Republican attorney general has been accused of dropping a case against Trump U in return for campaign contributions.
Last week, the AP reported that then-Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott — who is now the governor — received a $35,000 campaign contribution from Trump three years after dropping a proposed 2010 lawsuit against Trump U. After the AP reported the story, former Texas Deputy Chief of Consumer Protection John Owen said the case was dropped for political reasons.
The AP points out that when the attorneys general dropped the lawsuits, they left consumers in their states on their own to try and collect their refunds from Trump.
Both politicians have endorsed the celebrity businessman in his presidential bid.
Even the voters in Cook County figured out she was dirty…
After criticism for alleged mishandling the shooting death of Laquan McDonald Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez went down in her election Tuesday night. McDonald was the 17-year-old Chicago boy who was shot 16 times as he walked away from officers with a 3-inch knife. The video footage of his death was withheld while Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel ran for reelection. Alvarez too was seen responsible after waiting 13 months before filing charges against Officer Jason Van Dyke who shot McDonald.
Alvarez was also blamed for declining to file charges against officers who fatally shot a total of 68 people in the last seven years.
Alvarez’s opponent Kim Foxx had nearly 58 percent of the vote to Alvarez’s 29 percent before Alvarez conceded the race at 9 p.m. CDT.
“We are obviously very disappointed,” campaign manager Mike Carson said according to DNAInfo. “This was a hard-fought campaign.”
Opponents to Alvarez started a Twitter the hashtag #ByeAnita demanding she resign from the post. The movement was led by young black activists who used the direct action in the Black Lives Matter movement for the election. The group didn’t endorse an opponent, and they were just in opposition to Alvarez, spending a mere $1,000.
“I have been criticized that I wasn’t a very good politician and that’s probably right,” Alvarez said, “and that’s probably why I stand before you tonight.”
“Not a good politician”? How about a lousy human being.
The trite wing would like their troglodytes to believe that Police Officers have stopped work due to criticism of those few bad Cops by BLM.
Ain’t no “Joltin'” Joe Dimaggio’s on the extremist right.
Attorney General Loretta Lynch said Tuesday there was “no data” to support the notion that the national debate over the use of force by police has made the country less safe, an idea that has sometimes been referred to as the “Ferguson effect.”
Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) asked Lynch at a House Judiciary Committee hearing on Tuesday if she believed the discussion happening around the nation in the wake of high-profile police killings has made people less safe.
“Our discussion about civil rights and the appropriate use of force and all police tactics can only serve to make all of us — community members and police officers — safer,” Lynch said. She said she’s had productive conversations with police officers around the country and that they had some of the “best thoughts and best practices” on issues like de-escalation.
“While certainly there might be anecdotal evidence there, as all have noted, there’s no data to support it, and what I have seen in my travels across this country is the dedication, the commitment and the resolve of our brave men and women in law enforcement to improving policing, to embracing the 21st Century Task Force recommendations, and to continuing to have a dialogue that makes our country safer for all,” Lynch said. …
Baltimore’s leadership takes another hit from the public. This time the ire is directed towards the City Attorney General, Marilyn Mosby.
A veteran Baltimore prosecutor is blaming state’s attorney Marilyn Mosby for contributing to the dramatic spike in violent crime that has gripped the city in the aftermath of the Freddie Gray case.
In a scathing op-ed for The Baltimore Sun, Roya Hanna, who left the state’s attorney’s office in April, says that Mosby’s actions during her short time in office have contributed to the more than 200 murders that the city has seen so far this year. In the past several years, Baltimore hasn’t reached that level of murders until November.
“Having been a prosecutor in this city for 12 years, four in the Homicide Division, I can no longer stand idly by and watch State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby avoid taking responsibility for her role in the increase in violence,” Hanna writes in the op-ed.
She points out that of the 200-plus killings, charges have been filed against only 28 assailants in 30 cases. Five defendants were released earlier this year under Mosby’s watch,according to Hanna.
“Had these cases been handled differently, had her office worked more effectively with police or made stronger arguments in court, perhaps the victims would still be alive,” writes Hanna, who now works in private practice.
Hanna faults Mosby for how she’s publicly handled the Gray case. On May 1, Mosby announced charges against the six Baltimore cops involved in the 25-year-old’s April 12 arrest and transport. She was accused of vilifying the officers and using activist rhetoric.
“Ms. Mosby’s press conference announcing her decision to indict the officers involved in the Freddie Gray arrest had a chilling effect on the Baltimore Police Department,” Hanna claims, arguing that Baltimore cops were unsure after Mosby’s announcement of when they had probable cause to conduct an arrest.
During her May 1 speech, Mosby said that Gray’s arrest was illegal. She cited a knife found on Gray that day which she said was legal under Maryland law. However, it later came out that the spring-loaded weapon was illegal in Baltimore.…More…
So…Let’s back that up…Does this mean Roya Hanna is responsible for the record numbers of Homicides in the City over the last 10 years,,,On his watch?
Seems that Republican Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell and his wife have been playing fancy-free with “gifts” from corporate interests in Va. There was the matter of a $6500 Rolex, A $15,000 “donation” to pay McDonnell’s daughter’s wedding expenses at the Governor’s Mansion. $10,000 gift to McDonnells other daughter before her wedding. Trips on private planes. A family “vacation”. A $1500 catered Thanksgiving Dinner and $3,000 “vacation”…
And that is just the “$125,000” or so McDonnell has admitted taking from one wealthy businessman.
Then there is the issue of McDonnell’s wife using campaign funds as a personal piggy bank to buy clothes, furnish the mansion, and finance a lavish lifestyle. While not exactly illegal under Virginia law – it does raise some questions as to propriety.
Prosecutors are investigating what exactly these many gifts paid for.
McDonnell has been on a lot of the Republican Party potential Presidential candidates “short list” of VP picks. There also is some currency that McDonnell would make a run for a Senate seat or the big Kahuna – the Presidency.
Perhaps even more explosive is the fact that Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli also benefitted from the largesse of the same group of business interests. Cuccinelli says Star Scientific CEO Jonnie Williams didn’t give him the kind of presents that can be returned. Gifts from Williams listed in Cuccinelli’s financial disclosure forms include a $1,500 catered Thanksgiving dinner, private jet trips and vacation lodging. When asked about the list of gifts—totaling $18,000—the attorney general responded by saying that “there are some bells you can’t un-ring.” The “Cuch” just happens to be running for Governor this term.
Now, I don’t know about you, but when the State’s Chief Law Enforcement Officer is taking gifts under the table… The Attorney General of all people in a Government is supposed to conduct themselves within the law to be above reproach.
There is the consideration that the uncovered monies may just be the tip of the iceberg…
A prominent political donor and his dietary supplement company have been cooperating for several months with federal prosecutors in a fast-moving public corruption investigation of Virginia Gov. Robert F. McDonnell, according to three people familiar with the probe.
Jonnie R. Williams Sr., chief executive of Star Scientific, has turned over personal financial records and sat for interviews in which he provided firsthand accounts of luxury gifts andmore than $120,000 given to McDonnell (R) and his family members since 2011, the people said.
Star has given prosecutors access to corporate records and offered information from other company officials. The three spoke on the condition of anonymity because the case is in a sensitive stage.
The cooperation is an ominous sign for McDonnell, suggesting that federal prosecutors are focused on trying to build a potential criminal case against him.
McDonnell has not been charged, and prosecutors ultimately must determine whether they have the evidence to proceed against him.
But Williams is a critical witness who can offer investigators insight into the key issue for such a case: whether the governor and first lady agreed to take official actions that could help Williams’s company in exchange for his gifts.
McDonnell has repeatedly said he has broken no laws, insisting that he did nothing to help Williams’s company that he would not have done for any state-based enterprise. He has said he was not required by state law to disclose gifts given to his family members or a corporate loan that he said Williams provided. He has said he properly disclosed $50,000 given by Williams to his wife as a loan.
Still, McDonnell recently apologized for breaching the public’s trust and said he had repaid money he received from Williams, along with interest. Last week, he said he was working to return all of Williams’s gifts to his family.
But the federal probe is ongoing, as is an investigation by a state prosecutor in Richmond into whether the governor followed Virginia’s gift disclosure laws. Star Scientific has also told investors that it faces a securities probe.
Rich Galen, a spokesman for McDonnell, declined to comment, as did a spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office and an attorney for Williams.
Look like Republican Congressman Darrel Issa’s Kangaroo trial of Attorney General Eric Holder just got derailed.
In a move that hopefully signals the development of a backbone in the Obama Administration, President Obama has exerted “Executive Privilege” for the first time in his Presidency. The fact that he had to do so to derail Issa’s Kangaroo “trial” of AG Eric Holder says more about Republican racism and political vendettas than legality. Post the 2008 Election with a Democrat Majority in Congress, Democrats cut a deal with the Devil not to pursue the illicit, illegal, and treasonous crimes of Bush, Cheney, and their accomplices – including Mr Issa, in an attempt to tone down the political acrimony which had brought the country to its knees during the Clinton investigations, and enabled 911. The deal further saved the country from the embarrassment of having a former President, Vice President, and senior Cabinet Ministers placed in Orange Jumpsuits to spend long terms in prison.
Like the parable about the Scorpion and the Frog, the only thing you can expect from a starving rabid dog when you try and feed him is to get bit.
I hope this is a sign that President Obama is willing to wield that proverbial 2 x 4 in his second term.
President Barack Obama has asserted executive privilege in response to requests made by Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), chairman of the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, who has embarked on a controversial investigation into the Department of Justice’s Operation Fast and Furious gun-walking program.
The invocation of executive privilege allows the president to defy requests and subpoenas by members of the legislative and judicial branches for information the White House deems sensitive. Obama’s decision will allow him to refuse to provide certain documents pertaining to the Fast and Furious program.
The Oversight Committee has threatened to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt, and Issa had scheduled a vote on the matter for Wednesday morning. A committee aide told Reuters that Issa would proceed with the contempt vote even after Obama’s action. Issa later declared that the decision to assert executive privilege “falls short of any reason to delay today’s proceedings.”
Deputy Attorney General James M. Cole addressed Issa in a letter on Wednesday morning.
“We regret that we have arrived at this point, after the many steps we have taken to address the Committee’s concerns and to accommodate the Committee’s legitimate oversight interests regarding Operation Fast and Furious,” he wrote. “Although we are deeply disappointed that the Committee appears intent on proceeding with a contempt vote, the Department remains willing to work with the Committee to reach a mutually satisfactory resolution of the outstanding issues.”
Holder, who met with Issa Tuesday in an attempt to reach an agreement on how many and which documents related to Fast and Furious he would turn over, had formally written Obama requesting that he exercise executive privilege…(A copy of that letter is here)
In an email to The Huffington Post, an administration official noted that former President George W. Bush asserted executive privilege six times, while former President Bill Clinton did it 14 times. This is the first time Obama has exercised this authority. The Republican National Committee was quick to point out Wednesday that then-candidate Obama criticized Bush for using the practice in 2007…