Here we go again! Uncle Larry Elder stepping up to defend white conservative racists with fake statistics conservatives will now and regurgitate endlessly…
So let’s head this one off at the pass right at the start – there have been 300 Mass shootings in America … Just in 2015. Not “66 since 1982” and the rights most reliable Lawn Jockey spouts in his diatribe in defense of bigotry. Over 1,000 such shootings since Sandy Hook.
Recent studies reveal that most school shooters are White males, with 97 percent being male and 79 percent White. Over the last three decades, 90 percent of high school or elementary school shootings were the result of White, often upper-middle class, perpetrators. These shootings are a direct reflection of White male privilege and the consequences that occur when groups like the NRA control influential conservative leaders.
What Uncle Larry does is take a study done my Mother Jones and try and use the numbers as they are the most advantageous to his screed. But Mother Jones got to those numbers through using some interesting caveats –
- The killings were carried out by a lone shooter. (Except in the case of the Columbine massacre and the Westside Middle School killings, both of which involved two shooters.)
- The shootings happened during a single incident and in a public place. (Public, except in the case of a party in Crandon, Wisconsin, and another in Seattle.) Crimes primarily related to armed robbery or gang activity are not included.
- The shooter took the lives of at least four people. An FBI crime classification report identifies an individual as a mass murderer-as opposed to a spree killer or a serial killer-if he kills four or more people in a single incident (not including himself), and typically in a single location.
- If the shooter died or was hurt from injuries sustained during the incident, he is included in the total victim count. (But we have excluded cases in which there were three fatalities and the shooter also died, per the previous criterion.)
- We included six so-called “spree killings”-prominent cases that fit closely with our above criteria for mass murder, but in which the killings occurred in multiple locations over a short period of time.
Which arguably are not valid in reducing the number of instances of mass murders. Suggesting the data limitation led to some questionable conclusions.
Anyway, in foot stomping fashion, Uncle Larry buckdances to save the murderous virginity of white racists and mass murders.
Here’s the narrative: mass killers are almost always white men. The Daily Kos recently published a piece with this headline: “How come we can’t tell the truth about the White Mass Killer Problem?” It asks, “Just what the fracking hell is the matter with all these mass-murdering white people?” Certainly mass killers are almost always men. But they’re not almost always white men. Overrepresented? Perhaps. But almost always white? No.
Chris Harper Mercer walked into Oregon’s Umpqua Community College and killed nine people, wounding nine more. On a dating site, Mercer, whose father is white and mother is black, referred to himself as “mixed race.”
The Los Angeles Times implied that Mercer was white. The Times, in a sub-headline, said he had “white supremacy leanings.” The original article said: “A federal law enforcement source familiar with the investigation said, though, that authorities had obtained some of Harper-Mercer’s writings, as well as a note he left behind, suggesting that he supported white-supremacist causes and opposed organized religion.” The Times later changed the solitary law enforcement source to “two” sources, but added a line stating, “However, he identified as mixed-race on a dating website and lived with his black mother.”
As to non-white mass killers, Selwyn Duke, writing in American Thinker, cited a Mother Jones Magazine compilation of data on mass shootings from 1982 through, at the time of Duke’s writing, September 16, 2013 — after the Washington Navy Yard murders. Duke wrote:
“Of the last 20 mass killings of that period, 9 were perpetrated by non-whites.
“That would be 45 percent, which exceeds non-whites’ 37 percent share of the population.
“Of the last 30 mass killings, 11 were committed by non-whites — right at the 37 percent mark.
“And what if we go all the way back to 1982? We then have 66 mass killings in which the races of the perpetrators were known, and 22 of them, or one-third, were at the hands of non-whites. Note here that America’s demographics have been changing, with non-whites comprising only about 20 percent of the population in 1982; thus, if we consider an approximate average non-white population of 28.5 percent during the 31-year period in question, it appears that, again, mass murderers are slightly disproportionately non-white.”
This brings us back to Mercer and his race — at least as defined by some major media outlets...The rest of the garbage here…