Monthly Archives: October 2009
Something else President Obama has done that the Bushit never did –
Honor our fallen soldiers.
Bad day for conservatives!
This is what the Faux News “war” is really about. Pay special attention to the Paul Weyrich remark –
Rethuglys are attempting to attack organizations which they see as “Democratic Bases”, including ACORN and the SEIU in an attempt to deny funding and voters to the Democrats. Faux News has led the charge in trying to destroy ACORN, the SEIU, and Voter Registration Drives.
Look for Congress to start going after Faux, and the captive right-wing propaganda operations through a number of vehicles, including some sort of modified Fairness Doctrine. I would hope the FCC is encouraged to bring back local station ownership requirements, and break up the virtual monopoly on the radio airwaves.
Insofar as Rachael Maddow’s claim that the “Anti-Acorn” Law is unconstitutional – need I remind anyone that the constitutionality of a law hasn’t been a consideration of the conservative 5 justice majority in the Supreme Court…
Here is Rep Steve King, Republican of Iowa, ambushing NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell with the false equivalencies argument. This raises the question as to why a member of Congress should be trying to browbeat a corporation on behalf of Limbaugh, with “facts” which are at best disputed. Let’s get into Representative King –
In March 2008, King predicted on Heraldo Rivera’s Faux News Show that Al Quaeda would be “dancing in the streets if Obama was elected” –
“The radical Islamists, the al-Qaida … would be dancing in the streets in greater numbers than they did on Sept. 11 because they would declare victory in this war on terror…His middle name does matter, it matters because they read a meaning into that.”
“[I]f I am wrong, Geraldo, and we elect Obama to the presidency and he declares defeat, if they don’t dance in the streets, I will come and apologize to you and everybody in America. But I’m saying, I’m right.” Read the rest of this entry »
If I was McDonnell, running for Governor in Virginia, I couldn’t think of anything worse than a visible visit by the HNIC right now…Should be good for a 5 point drop in the polls, and undermine Sheila Johnson’s support.
Vodpod videos no longer available.
How did conservatism fail America?
The U.S. rates relatively poorly in the 2009 Legatum Prosperity Index, a ranking of 104 countries in terms of a broad definition of prosperity that includes economic growth and quality of life measures.
America leads big countries, with strong scores for democracy, entrepreneurship and innovation, but it still has a long way to go, easily losing to the Scandinavians, Canadians, Aussies and others in many important categories like health, governance and economic fundamentals.
- The U.S. ranks 1st in the world in Entrepreneurship and Innovation and 2nd in the world in the strength of Democratic Institutions.
- Two other areas of American strength are Education (7th globally), and Social Capital (also 7th globally).
- The U.S. performs worst in the health category, ranking 27th in the world. Dissatisfaction with their overall health is dragging down Americans’ sense of well-being, affecting their determination to get ahead and impacting their faith in the health care system.
- Ranking 19th globally, safety and security is another relative weakness of the U.S. Lower scores are driven by the large number of people in the U.S. who feel they live in unsafe places, coupled with a high per capita murder rate relative to other developed nations.
- The U.S. ranks 16th globally on Governance, indicating that Americans believe that there is too much corruption in their government and sometimes doubt the honesty of elections. The United States’ laws and regulations are generally seen to foster economic growth, but government’s negative effects pull down its citizens’ quality of life.
Four areas of failure –
- Health Care – With the US ranked 27th in the world.
- Public Safety – Gunz everywhere!
- Governance – The stolen and corrupt “sElections” of 2000 and 2004 destroyed faith in the electoral system.
- The Bushit Administration was the most corrupt Administration in American History, with hundreds of billions of dollars stolen by insiders during the Iraq fiasco.