Our “Post Racial President” even knows the the first stanza!
(Keep your day job, Mr. President!)
OK, Old Timers – a flashback! Kim Weston at Wattstax, August 20, 1972 -
Now – when I was a little tike in segregated Virginia elementary school – we sang this each morning, instead of the “National Anthem” – and then did the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Lift every voice and sing,
- ‘Til earth and heaven ring,
- Ring with the harmonies of Liberty;
- Let our rejoicing rise
- High as the listening skies,
- Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.
- Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us,
- Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us;
- Facing the rising sun of our new day begun,
- Let us march on ’til victory is won. Continue reading
Filed under: Black History | Tagged: Civil Rights Music, James Weldon Johnson, Kim Weston, Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing, Music Festival, Negro National Anthem, President Obama, Smokey Robinson, Wattstax, White House | Leave a comment »